R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed171-holding tank support and fender extension?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 171-holding tank support and fender extension?
    Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 7:25pm
And if you don't want the pilot drill to walk all over the place, you can use a center punch to mark the spot.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 4:23pm
+1 to all of the above, I have a reinforced black tank drain, mud flaps and bolts thru my frame securing tank rails, all thanks to this forum. Sincerely appreciate the input from old and new members.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 4:17pm
Greetings

I have the lift kit on my R-179.  So I got a couple of heavy truck mud flaps, cut them to size used some stainless steel bolts to fasten them to the fender. They go past the center point of the tire and stay down in place when driving down the road.  they help keep the back sides clean.

Crankster78
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 3:14pm
+1 to Pilot Podder and pilot hole.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 3:09pm
Another good idea for drilling into any metal is to use a smaller bit first to drill a piilot hole. Then the second (larger)bit will have a much easier time.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 9:53am
Yes, I should have used cutting oil to help keep the bits from overheating. Next time I have to drill, I will try to remember to do so.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Ben Herman

StephenH - one thing that I've found helpful when drilling through the steel on the Pod - put a few drops of 3&1 oil on the bit when starting the hole and partway through - saves the bit from overheating. Just be careful if drilling overhead, don't want drops of hot oil landing on your face (don't ask me how I know).
+1 A little dab of "cutting oil" (and 3-in-1 is a great alternative) makes a bit cut a lot better & keeps it cool too. Depending on the situation, I will put a drop or two on the piece being drilled, or I will put a few drops in a thimble or other small available depression and dip the drill bit into it. Drill until it starts looking a little hot, then dip the bit again (or drop another drop).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 9:06am
Originally posted by StephenH

I took mine to the dealer who tightened the screws and closed up the gaps, but sheared one screw off in the process. After that, I still did not like the looks of it so I drilled through and  each bracket now has one stainless steel bolt with stainless steel washers and nylock nuts. If you drill, use a slow speed on the drill as a fast speed is an easy way to overheat the drill and then it gets dull and won't work. I went through several bits. Later I found some Cobalt bits at Home Depot that are much more durable. Even those will become dull eventually. I haven't yet found an effective way to sharpen them.

It isn't just the tank supports though that need work. The black and gray water drains also need better support. See my mods for my solution. I have had the black tank drain support fail twice, both times allowing the end to drag on the pavement. There won't be a third time!

StephenH - one thing that I've found helpful when drilling through the steel on the Pod - put a few drops of 3&1 oil on the bit when starting the hole and partway through - saves the bit from overheating. Just be careful if drilling overhead, don't want drops of hot oil landing on your face (don't ask me how I know).
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 8:51am
I took mine to the dealer who tightened the screws and closed up the gaps, but sheared one screw off in the process. After that, I still did not like the looks of it so I drilled through and  each bracket now has one stainless steel bolt with stainless steel washers and nylock nuts. If you drill, use a slow speed on the drill as a fast speed is an easy way to overheat the drill and then it gets dull and won't work. I went through several bits. Later I found some Cobalt bits at Home Depot that are much more durable. Even those will become dull eventually. I haven't yet found an effective way to sharpen them.

It isn't just the tank supports though that need work. The black and gray water drains also need better support. See my mods for my solution. I have had the black tank drain support fail twice, both times allowing the end to drag on the pavement. There won't be a third time!
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:10am
The self tapping screws are really cheap.  Mine was missing one of the three at each location and one of the six locations had only one screw. The second had sheared off.  I drilled holes in the center of the frame and installed an actual bolt on each end of each support in addition to the cheap screws.  Took about an hour to complete.  
Leo and Tami
with Coltrane the Jack Russell Terrier
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>