R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed171-holding tank support and fender extension?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 171-holding tank support and fender extension?
    Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 1:56pm
I have a 2016 Hood River 171 that I will be getting to know this coming summer and was wondering about a couple of issues.
1) I see no straps supporting the holding tanks and was wondering if an addition like that would be in order if travelling on our ample supply of frost-heaved roads in Alaska?  It appears the tanks are supported by a hidden lip that fits over part of the frame and nothing else.  Any additional info appreciated.
2) Has anyone added additional length to the rear of the left side wheel fender to protect the black and gray water outlets from stone damage if travelling on gravel roads?  Is this even a concern?

Thanks!

Rustler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by frozebubba

I have a 2016 Hood River 171 that I will be getting to know this coming summer and was wondering about a couple of issues.
1) I see no straps supporting the holding tanks and was wondering if an addition like that would be in order if travelling on our ample supply of frost-heaved roads in Alaska?  It appears the tanks are supported by a hidden lip that fits over part of the frame and nothing else.  Any additional info appreciated.
2) Has anyone added additional length to the rear of the left side wheel fender to protect the black and gray water outlets from stone damage if travelling on gravel roads?  Is this even a concern?

Thanks!

I have reported on how mud-flaps were added to the fenders to protect the holding tank dump valves. This was also done to reduce the amount of spray thrown up by the tires during wet weather. My report of this modification can be found on the following link:

Also regarding the supports for holding tanks, I would recommend checking all of the large sheet metal screws attaching the cross members to the frame. These cross members are what keep the holding tanks in place so that the lip on the tanks you mention can support the tanks. An additional strap under each tank would certainly help. There have been some reports of holding tanks dropping to the pavement during travel. 
Russ
2009 Toyota RAV4
V6 w/ tow package
2016 Rpod 171 HRE
frozebubba View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:04pm
Thanks, Rustler!  Very helpful.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:41pm
The holding tanks are "T" shaped and sit down in those brackets. Without losing a bracket, you can't lose a tank.. that said, check the screws holding the brackets to the frame. Brackets have come loose..
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 5:28pm
If you want to look at issue as posted, the ref is a post by Casa Jack, Water Tank Beam, posted 25 JUL 2014. 5 pages of comments. Personally I had gaps and issues with my tank beams, and the 1" by #14 screws that hold the beams on, I corrected my issues. I have a 2015 178.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 10:08pm
A few references on the tank holding bracket problem:

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7558&KW=washer&PN=1&title=black-tank-fell-from-rpod

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5036&KW=water+tank&PID=48858&title=water-tank-beam#48858

The problem was common for a while and needs to be fixed. Be sure to replace broken screws and fill any gaps with large washers as described.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:18pm
More thanks to everyone.  Looks like I will be spending some time under there checking out integrity of the supports and making/installing some mud flaps.  I think I missed some of the links that were passed along because I did not use advanced search and thus only got the past 6 months results on my searches.  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 1:45am
Thanks for the tip on the sheet metal screws.  On curb-side, all were loose and needed serious tightening up. On road-side, they were tight.  Guy on the curb-side of the assembly line must have been hung over.
Dcmeigs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 9:26pm
I found that my 2014 178 had a problem in need of correction. The angle brace has a flange at each end with three holes.  That piece is about 1/4” too short.  It was attached tightly to the port frame member and then had a large gap at the starboard side.  Only two self tapping screws were used it each end, thus leaving one hole without a screw.  Apparently an engineer thought it required three and the guys on the floor decided against that much effort. The screws in the gapped end had not sheared, but a fastener in shear has much less strength than one in tension.  I removed the screws one at a time and added three washers to fill the gap.  I also drilled the frame member and added the third screw to all six locations.  

If you decide to do this, start early and use some superglue and a 1/4 x 20 bolt and nut as a clamp to make yourself some washers of the correct thickness to match the gap.  It’s extremely frustrating to attempt to place one washer, let alone three washers in a blind vertical gap.  This will save you some time and frustration. An even better solution would be to fabricate some shims that match the drilling of the flange.  
frogpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:10am
The self tapping screws are really cheap.  Mine was missing one of the three at each location and one of the six locations had only one screw. The second had sheared off.  I drilled holes in the center of the frame and installed an actual bolt on each end of each support in addition to the cheap screws.  Took about an hour to complete.  
Leo and Tami
with Coltrane the Jack Russell Terrier
2010 Rpod 171
2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>